PAN FRIED GARLIC MUSSELS
A quick and easy delicious recipe that can be used for any shellfish
- Fresh Live Mussels
- Brown Onion
- White Wine
- Coconut Cream
- Take fresh live mussels, rinse and debeard.
The general rule of thumb is live mussels will not enjoy the fondling nor the removal of their beard and as a result, they will remain tight-lipped.
Any mussels that are gaping after your attention are probably best left for bait.
- Fine chop and fry an onion with garlic and ginger and a generous knob of butter
- On a medium heat brown off
- Once to your desired level of brown crank up pot or pan to hot.
- Add mussels and give them a stir in, then add quarter to half a glass of a drinkable kiwi white.
- Put the lid on and let the steam cook the mussels. It should only take a couple of minutes for the steam to cook the mussels through and allow them to pop open.
- Remove the lid, turn off the heat, drop in a cup of coconut cream stir the mixture well.
- Throw in herbs to suit and perhaps a few sliced chillies.
- Give it another stir then you are ready to plate up, or in this case bowl up.
- Enjoy…..any mussels that didn’t open after your best efforts are again, best left for bait.